Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Circle of Life

BOY: (from living room, looking into fish tank) Honey, I don't see it.

PEA: (from bedroom, sobbing into pillow) ON THE SAND! RIGHT THERE IN THE MIDDLE!

BOY: Oh...yeah. Hold on (rustling around in drawer for net).

PEA: (sobbing and sobbing)

BOY: Yes, I think you're right. This hermit crab is dead.

PEA: (lifting head from pillow) I TOLD YOU SO! WE KILLED HIM!!!!! (sobbing)

BOY: (coming into bedroom) Honey, I think he probably just had a bad moult. That happens to these guys sometimes.

PEA: HE DIED ALL ALONE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SAND! We couldn't help him. We did something wrong. He came out of his shell and had nowhere to go and HE DIED!!!!

BOY: Honey, it's just a hermit crab. Sometimes they die.

PEA: It's (sob) not (sob) FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate the fish tank! I never want to look at the fish tank again! Don't make me ever look at it again!

BOY: Do you want me to get rid of the fish tank? This kind of thing will happen, and I don't want it to be hard for you. I know someone I could give it to; just say the word, and we don't have to have it anymore.

PEA: (gulp/sob) YES! Also, the dog. We have to give away the dog too! This is too hard! What if something happened to the dog? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (sobbing and sobbing).

BOY: (sighing) Maybe we talk about this again tomorrow, OK?

1 comment:

Kate Rosenberg said...

It's truly terrifying how much I relate to you, pea. I've wanted to give the pup away, the guinea pig away, etc. What would we do with our OWN BABIES??? It's so scary to love a creature.