Saturday, July 14, 2007

Out-Mormoning The Mormons

P,


Yet another bridal shower tomorrow. It's mind numbing; most people (women, rather) I know go to several showers a week. For the love of all that's sacred, STOP GETTING MARRIED. No, let me amend: STOP HAVING KIDS. My friend, Jen, told the most alarming baby shower story ever, in which the mom-to-be (who HAS KIDS ALREADY) wants a soiree of 75 people. Huh? Also she's dictating every detail. Hi, showers are a gift, not a right. So anyway, tomorrow's shower should be excellent because it's just a barbeque, no games, no decorations, no hoo-ha. But there will be jello shots and...Jello Cake! I suddenly remembered a cake my mom made when I was little, from a jello cookbook (who knew?) (also, I loved to look though it because the jello parfaits looked so yummy). When I mentioned that I would be bringing a Jello cake, there was a room full of blank stares. HA! Beat you at your own game. I found a classic trashy cake to bring that is made with Jello and HA! Suck it, Utahans! You don't know about Jello Cake and when you taste it, you'll be mine forever...


JELLO "POKE" CAKE

1 bx. yellow or white cake mix
1 (3 oz.) bx. red jello
1 (8 oz.) carton Cool Whip topping
9 x 13 baking dish
Optional flavor combination: lemon cake mix - orange or lemon jello

Bake cake according to package directions. While cake is cooling in its pan, poke holes all over with large fork. Mix jello according to package directions. Drizzle jello liquid over cake. Make sure jello penetrates all holes. Chill several hours or overnight. Frost chilled cake with whipped topping. Serve.

Yeah, sister. You get classier, I start investigating the wide world of jello recipes and casseroles. I'm a rocker. I rock out.

Love you with Cool Whip on top,
p

No comments: